SHEIKH AHMED LEMU (Dr.) OON, OFR was born in Lemu, Gbako Local Government Area, Niger State of Nigeria, on 1st December 1929.
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
• Entered Qur’anic School, Lemu, in 1932.
• Entered Elementary School, Lemu, in 1939.
• Entered Niger Middle School (now called Government College), Bida, in 1944 and obtained Middle IV Certificate in 1948.
• Entered Shari‘ah Law School (now called School for Arabic Studies), Kano, in 1949. Obtained Middle VI Certificate (of Arabic, Islamic Studies and General Education) in 1950 and Higher Elementary Teachers’ (Grade II) Certificate (of Arabic, Islamic Studies, Shari‘ah and General Education) in December 1952.
• Entered School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, in October 1954 and obtained Diploma in Arabic, Islamic Studies and Shari‘ah in June 1955.
• Obtained University of London General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level) in History, Arabic, Hausa and Persian in 1961.
• Re-entered School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, in October 1961 and was awarded B. A. (Hon.) Degree in History in 1964.
• Awarded (Hon.) Doctorate of Laws on 13th January 1996 by Usmanu Dan Fodiyo University, Sokoto, Nigeria.
• Awarded Honorary Degree of Doctor of Letters (D. Litt) (Honoris Causa) of Fountain University, Osogbo, Nigeria, on 17th September 2011.
• Awarded Honorary Degree of D.Sc. Administration (Honoris Causa) by Crescent University, Abeokuta, Nigeria, on 26th October, 2013.
PROFESSIONAL AND OTHER EXPERIENCE
Appointed Teacher of Arabic, Islamic Studies and English at Government Secondary School, Bida, (1st January 1953 to January 1960).
Promoted Education Officer and transferred to School for Arabic Studies, Kano to teach Arabic, Islamic Studies and Education (1st February 1960).
Promoted Principal of School for Arabic Studies, Kano, in 1965.
Transferred to Sixth Form Government Secondary School. Ilorin, as Vice Principal and teacher of History (August 1965 – March 1966).
Appointed Principal of Arabic Teachers College, Sokoto, (March 1966 – April 1968).
Promoted Senior Area Inspector of Education, North Western State Ministry of Education Headquarters, Sokoto, Nigeria (April 1968 – 1970).
Appointed Chief Education Officer i/c Secondary and Post-Secondary Education, North Western State Ministry of Education Headquarters, Sokoto, Nigeria (1970 – 1971).
Re-assigned as Chief Education Officer i/c Primary Education, Adult Education and Further Education, North Western State Ministry of Education Headquarters, Sokoto. Nigeria (1971-1972).
Re-assigned as Chief Education Officer i/c Primary and Teachers Education, North Western State Ministry of Education Headquarters, Sokoto, Nigeria (1972 – 1973).
Promoted Deputy Chief Inspector and Professional Head of the Inspectorate Division of Education, North Western State Ministry of Education Headquarters, Sokoto, Nigeria, (October 1974 – 1975).
Promoted Director of Planning and Development of Education, North Western State Ministry of Education Headquarters, Sokoto, Nigeria (November 1975 ¬March 1976).
Appointed Chancellor of Fountain University, Osogbo, Nigeria, 2009
B. JUDICIAL SERVICE
Appointed Judge of Sharia Court of Appeal for Sokoto and Niger States of Nigeria (1st June 1976 – 14th September 1977).
Promoted Grand Kadi (Chief Judge of Shari’ah Court of Appeal) of Niger State of Nigeria (15th September 1977 to 24th December 1991).
Author of the following books:
The Young Muslim, Books 1 and 2. (Textbooks of Islamic Studies for Nigerian Secondary Schools and Teachers Colleges, published by IET Publications Division, Minna).
Tarbiyyar ‘Yan-Musulmi, Books One and Two (as textbooks of Islamic Studies in Hausa Language for Nigerian Primary Schools), published by Northern Nigerian Publishing Company, Zaria.
Asiran Tsafi (as a booklet in Hausa Language on Comparative Religion, discussing Islam and Idol-worship for the purpose of Islamic Public Enlightenment work), published by Islamic Education Trust.
How to Perform Hajj and ‘Umrah, published by Islamic Education Trust.
Sakon Mallam (as a booklet in Hausa Language on Tawhid, i.e. Islamic Theology) published by Northern Nigerian Publishing Company, Zaria.
Tafsirin Juz’u ‘Amma (as a co-author of Hausa translation of Juz’u ‘Amma – i.e. the last 37 Chapters of the Holy Qur’an), published by Abou El-Soud and Othman El¬Tayyib Limited, Kano; Nigerian Publishing Company, Zaria; Islamic Education Trust, Minna.
Jagorar Koyarwa (being a booklet in Hausa Language as a Guide to Primary School teachers on Methodology of the Teaching of Islamic Studies)
Education: Islamic Concepts and the Modern Society (an offprint from Muslim Education magazine), published by King Abdul-Aziz University, Jeddah; and also by Islamic Education Trust, Minna, Nigeria.
Islam for Africa, published by Islamic Da‘wah Movement, South Africa and by Islamic Education Trust.
A Book of Fasting published by Islamic Education Trust.
Religion and Morality in Islam, Published by International Islamic Charitable Organization (IlCO) Nigeria Office.
D. PARTICIPATION IN NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES
Attended many national and international conferences on Education, Islam and Da‘wah and gave lectures or presented Papers in various countries in Africa, Middle East and Asia (including Kenya, Sierra Leone, Cameroon, Sudan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Kuwait, etc.).
Da’wah Visit and Lecture in Zimbabwe, 1982
Da’wah Visit and Lecture at Santapuram College , Kerala State, South India, 1985
Study Visit to Islamic organisations in Malaysia and Singapore, 1985
Da’wah Visits and Lectures in the Caribbean, Trinidad , Tobago, Barbados and Guyana, 1991
Da’wah Visit to Cameroon 1994
Da’wah Visit and Lectures in south Africa 1997
Peace Building Tour in the Company of Secretary General of Muslim World League to the United States of America, 2006
MEMBERSHIP OF ISLAMIC AND DA‘WAH ORGANIZATIONS
Founder Member and National President of the Islamic Education Trust (I.E.T) Nigeria, and Leader of the Nigerian Counterpart Organization for Islamic Development Bank (IDB) Scholarship Programme, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Founder Trustee of the International Council for Islamic Information (ICII), Markfield, United Kingdom.
Foundation Member and member of Board of Directors of the International Islamic Charitable Organization (IICO) Kuwait,
Honourary Director of IICO (Nigeria Office).
Member of the Supreme Council of the Muslim World League (MWL), Makkah, Saudi Arabia.
Member of International Board for Educational Research and Resources (IBERR) London, United Kingdom.
Member of the Leadership Committee of the International Islamic Council for Da’wah and Relief (IICDR), Cairo, Egypt.
Member of the Muslim World Congress (MWC), Islamabad, Pakistan.
Member of Board of Trustees and Representative of World Assembly of Muslim Youth (WAMY), in West Africa.
Associate Member of World Assembly of Muslim Youth. (WAMY), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Member and Chairman of Board of Trustees of the (Nigeria Office) of the International Islamic Relief Organization (IIRO), Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
First President of the Da’wah Co-ordination Council of Nigeria (DCCN).
Member of Board of Trustees of Muslim Students Society of Nigeria (MSSN).
Vice Chairman of the General Purpose and National Executive Committee of the Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), Kaduna, Nigeria
Member of Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs.
• Member of Presidential Inter-religious Committee on Nigeria’s membership of the Organization of Islamic Conference (O.I.C).
• Member, Nigerian Vision – 2010 Committee
• Member, Nigeria Vision Foundation (being Presidential Advisory Committee on the Implementation of the Nigerian Vision – 2010).
• Member, Nigerian Inter-Religious Council (NIREC) under the Presidency.
• Member, Presidential Advisory Council on Youth Development.
• Member, Presidential Panel on (Nigerian) National Security.
• Member, Nigerian Electoral Reform Committee appointed by President Umaru Musa Yar’adua
• Chairman, Federal Government Investigation Panel on 2011 Post Election Violence and Civil Disturbances.
• Member, Committee on Reconciliation, Healing and Security in Northern Nigeria, established by the Nineteen Governors Forum of Northern Nigeria.
• Member, Presidential Committee on Dialogue and Peaceful Resolution of Security Challenges in Northern Nigeria.
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL AWARDS
1st Niger State (of Nigeria) Merit Award, 1991
Sheikh Abdullahi Fodio Award, November 2000
International Islamic Charitable Organization (IlCO) Award, Kuwait, 2000
Nigerian National Honors (O.O.N. Officer of the Order of the Niger) by His Excellency President of Nigeria, General Abdussalam Alhaji Abubakar, 1999.
Nigerian National Honors (O.F.R – Officer of the Order of Federal Republic) by His Excellency President of Nigeria, Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo, December, 2001.
Ambassador for Peace Award by Inter-religious and International Federation for World Peace, March 2002.
Federation of Muslim Women’s Associations of Nigeria (FOMWAN), Niger State of Nigeria Chapter Award of Abu Imad, April 2007.
Merit Award by the Directorate of Islamic Affairs, Nigerian Army, 2008
Fellow of Academy of Religion (FAR) by Nigerian Association for the Study of Religions (NASR), 2009.
Long Service Award by Bida Old Students Association (BOSA), 2012
Award of Excellence by the Nigerian Bar Association, September 2012
Merit Award by the Da’wah Coordination Council of Nigeria (DCCN), February 2013
King Faisal International Prize for Service to Islam, 30th March, 2014
Icon of Peace Award by International Peace Foundation (IPF) and African Community Bridge Foundation (ACBF), 26th September, 2015